Wednesday 13 June 2018

10 Questions with Nkululeko Dube, The-So Called Mafia

By Nqobile Mafu

Comedian Carl Joshua Ncube abruptly brought the Bulawayo arts scene down from the high of hosting the recently held Bulawayo Arts Awards when he suggested that there was a clique of arts practitioners that were holding the city’s arts scene to ransom. Ncube, speaking in a Facebook discussion interview with Iyasa founder Nkululeko Dube, said that there were eight people that acted as if they were mafia dons, creating the impression that the Bulawayo arts scene was their private playground. Ngiyesbanews interviewed Nkululeko Dube who's currently on tour in Europe.

1. Ngiyesabanews: Pliz can yu tell me a bit about yourself and your background?
Dube: I am the director and founder of Inkululeko Yabatsha School of Arts ( IYASA). I hail from Plumtree and started arts at a tender schooling age at Mzingwane High School and through my university and college education. I am greatly inspired by South African arts guru Mbongeni Ngema of the Sarafina fame. I am a father to, 2 lovely boys Mbongeni Dube and Vuyolethu Dube.

2. Ngiyesabanews: I understand you where in Mpopoma High before you became the Director of Iyasa;can you describe a real-life situation that inspired you?
Dube: Well my involvement in the arts was a process rather than instant. I worked a lot at school with colleagues like Babongile Skhonjwa ( Skyzz Metro). I would also say Mbongeni Ngema had a huge influence in my life. I was also mentored by a lot of insipirational people like Cont Mhlanga, Albert Nyathi, Sihlangu Dlodlo, Nomadlozi Kubheka, Styxx Mhlanga among others. Working with the Mpopoma High School drama club that took the country by storm further catapulted my vision. I know a lot of people refer to the political controversy l got stuck in as a part of it but that was just a hiccup that propelled me from a comfort zone into the wilderness. It was the time l decided to go professional.

3. Ngiyesabanews: Explain what you do in 50 words?

Dube: l mentor young artists in music, dance, Theatre, poetry and various other genres. I then provide and find platforms for them to showcase their talents locally and internationally. I nurture unknown fresh and upcoming talent hence the reference to being a school of arts. I also work with schools in developing arts.I train and guide young artists in their journey into becoming ultimately big. For examples Sandra Ndebele, Futurelove Sibanda, Nkwali, DJ Prince, Silethemba and Pepsi Magonya, Tsungai Tsikirai, Michelle Msopero and many more are there to validate our efforts.


4. Ngiyesabanews: As a family man since you are always on tour,how do yo accommodate your family time?
Dube: I spend half of the year at home and half of the year abroad. My partner she's an administrator in the arts so we spend a lot of time together, sometimes they travel with me.

5. Ngiyesabanews: kkkkkkk, Dube baba, can you tell me, about the Mafia Saga as you are on the top of the list?
Dube: Hahahaha! So the list is out? And I am top of it? That is news to me. What l have seen is speculation in various platforms including the press and yes my name has been mentioned. Well, we live in a democratic era . If you ask me the mafia is a product of fertile imagination. To me the names thrown around are names of people that are doing good things in the name of arts and for the city. We should celebrate them. Yes I work with all of them. It is strange that when we all worked divided and in our corners people said it was the reason for our lack of progress. Now we bring our efforts together, create synergies, again we are accused of being in the mafia. I focus on what l do. I have no time to stop others from progressing their dreams. My conscience is clear on that one. Surely l can not dismiss those that a complaining totally. Yes maybe someone, somewhere has used dirty tactics against their efforts; but to say there is an organized mafia designed to do that in the city is a total exaggeration. After all half of the year l am out of the country. If claim is l am part of a mafia,I can safely tell you that is a figmentation of reality because l have never been in any meeting or any plan plotting the downfall of anybody. That defeats my purpose in the arts which is to promote upcoming talent.

6. Ngiyesabanews: Before you where the big five, now the number has escalated to eight,the empire is growing and now you are labelled as the Mafia, tell me more about this Mafia Saga?
Dube: Is it not strange that the same people who were named the Big five are again named the mafia. I am not the best person to explain what this is all about but Carl Joshua Ncube the comedian made the suggestion in an interview l had with him on a social media platform. Honestly to me it shows that l am relevant to the arts scene. I would worry if l had any sinister intentions. I help a lot of young artists and to me if they are content all these claims are baseless and won’t deter me. l help, mentor and sponsor. That is not the essence of why l help them.

7. Ngiyesabanews: Is it possible to give me the list kkkk?

Dube: Unfortunately l am not the source and neither do l believe in it.

8. Ngiyesabanews: What has been your biggest challenge as an artist?
Dube: I could write a book on this. I have challenges everyday. We operate in a not so ideal arts sector compared to other developed countries. That means we need to treble our efforts to be seen, to be valued. Many of my challenges are born from that. Resources. Policies that are almost non existent. Above all working with young people is a challenge on its own.

9. Ngiyesabanews: How do you feel about the internet in the arts business?
Dube: The internet has brought the world to our doorsteps. It is easier to connect to sell to be relevant but again only if we put it to good use. Most of us spend time using it as a battlefield rather than a platform for business.

10. Ngiyesabanews: What changes would you like to see to the arts industry and what advice do you have for young upcoming artist?
Dube: We live in an era where Talent is no longer adequate to make it to the top. I would love to see young artists develop themselves and not only rely on Talent. I also hope our country can come up with policies that make Zimbabwe a fertile nation for the growth of the arts as a business. Zimbabwe has not reached its potential



For More Info about Iyasa visit their website:
http://www.iyasa.net/index.php?id=home
https://m.facebook.com/Inkululekoyabatsha/?locale2=en_GB&soft=bookmarks

Those who want to be interviewed and future in our column you can contact us on our email: mmep@hotmail.co.uk or Whatsapp 00447410847876

No comments: