Saturday 2 June 2018

10 Questions with BAA, Winner Matesu Dube

By Nqobile Mafu

It's almost a week since the awards took place at Bulawayo Large City Hall, tears and joy still buzzing in Bulawayo especial in Njube suburb where Ngiyesbanews came across with an award winner. Matesu was so delighted to be awarded the Outstanding Theatre Director at the 2018 Roil Bulawayo Arts Awards on the 26th of May for the play Ihloka, written by Thabani Moyo. The play Ihloka also got the Outstanding Theatre Production award and also the Outstanding Actor went to Ishmael Muvingi.

(1.) Ngiyesabanews: Pliz can yu tell us a bit about yourself/background?

Mate: My name is Matesu Dube, born and bred in the city of Bulawayo. I am an award theatre arts director.

(2.) Ngiyesabanews: What’s the name and the meaning of your group?
Mate: Umkhathi Theatre Works is the name of my group. Umkhathi means weather in Ndebele language. As a performing arts ensemble we perform different art forms that range from traditional dance, theatre to music that’s why the name Umkhathi comes from.

(3.) Ngiyesabanews: When did your group was formed?
Mate: Umkhathi was formed in 1997 by a group of people that included myself, John Phiri, Mthandazo Sithole (late), Alexander Mhlanga, Richard Mahachi, Maqawe Moyo and Tsoka Ndlovu.

(4.) Ngiyesabanews: Tell us about your achievement in BAA awards?
Mate:Well it was nice for us to scoop 3 awards in the Theatre category at the Roil BAA on the 26th May 2018. I got the Outstanding Theatre Director award, Ishmael Muvingi got the Outstanding Actor award and our production, Ihloka got the Outstanding Theatre Production award.

(5.) Ngiyesabanews: What did you like the most about BAA awards?
Mate: The awards are well organized and I think they are currently the best event in Bulawayo and Zimbabwe as a whole.

(6.) Ngiyesabanews: is it possible to name three artists you’d like to be compared to?
Mate: Well I am my own, god created us in a unique way, so I would like to be compared to anyone else though I admire other people's works.

(7.) Ngiyesabanews: What has been your biggest challenge as an artist?
Mate:My biggest challenge has been to look for funding, for productions that I would like to do. Funding for costumes, stage set, lighting and other things to produce a show that I want; in a professional way.

(8.) Ngiyesabanews: How do you feel about the internet in the arts business?
Mate: The internet is good, it makes us market our works and connect with people in different parts of the world.

(9.) Ngiyesabanews: What changes would you like to see to the arts industry, that will allow you to make a living from your projects?
Mate:The government must remove tax and duty for imports of art equipment. Funding should be availed in the country. The government and corporate sector must work with artists in their projects.

(10.) Ngiyesabanews: What advice do you have for young upcoming artist?
Mate: Love the art in you not yourself in the arts. Learn from the people who are already in the game. Also I would to thank the writer,of Ihloka, Thabani Moyo for believing in me and Umkhathi Theatre Works. To the cast of the play Ihloka, I say congratulations you made us proud. I love you all guys.


Those who want to be interviewed and future in our column you can contact us on our email: mmep@hotmail.co.uk or Whatsapp 00447410847876

No comments: